Legal Requirements for Obtaining a Visa for Hong Kong

Legal Requirements for Obtaining a Visa for Hong Kong

Updated on Thursday 16th September 2021

Rate this article

based on 2 reviews

Legal-Requirements-for-Obtaining-a-Visa-for-Hong-Kong.jpgEntry requirements for Hong Kong

The Immigration Department sets out the legal requirements for obtaining a visa for Hong Kong. The visa is necessary for any individual who wants to work, study, open a business, become a resident or stay as a visitor for more than the three months/90 days visa-free period.
Our Hong Kong law firm provides legal services and advice for individuals who need to obtain a visa for Hong Kong

The visa policy in Hong Kong

Individuals who possess the following documents will not require a visa to enter Hong Kong:
- Hong Kong passport;
- British national passport;
- Hong Kong ID card;
- Hong Kong re-entry permit;
- Hong Kong seaman identity book;
- permanent Hong Kong ID card;
- an already valid Hong Kong.
Those included in the abovementioned categories will not need to apply for a visa to enter the Special Administrative Region. All other individuals who want to enter Hong Kong for a longer period of time need to apply for a visa. The appropriate visa must be obtained before traveling to Hong Kong. 
Hong Kong imposes different requirements for foreign countries/territories. While some countries are allowed a visa free period, individuals from certain countries like Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Cambodia, the Central African Republic and several other countries will need to obtain permission to enter Hong Kong.
Our Hong Kong lawyers can give you personalized advice regarding the requirements that apply to your country if you want to enter the city. Different requirements apply for holders of Diplomatic and Official passports. 

Applying for a Hong Kong visa

When applying for a visa for Hong Kong, individuals need to submit several documents and pay the fee corresponding to the type of visa they require. The fee for an ordinary visa is 190 $ wile for a transit visa the fee is 100$. 
Applicants will need to submit the form for the type of visa they require, along with copies of their identification documents, a recent photo and others. The application can be made at a Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in the country of origin or directly to the HKSAR Immigration Department by post or through a local individual.
Our lawyers can help you apply for an investment visa in Hong Kong.
For more information about living in Hong Kong, including the family law and information for those who want to start a business, you can contact our Hong Kong law firm.