Residence Permit in Hong Kong | 2022 Application Procedure Guide
Residence Permit in Hong KongUpdated on Wednesday 29th June 2022
based on 6 reviews
|Temporary residence permit types|| |
Time needed to obtain the temporary residence permit (approx.)
Temporary residence permit validity
|2 years in most cases|
|Documents for obtaining temporary residence|| Filled-in application form |
Valid travel document
Supporting documents according to the purpose of the stay
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)||Yes. Pre-arrival registrations are also needed for some foreign nationals|
|Dependents can join the temporary permit holder (Yes/No)|| |
Yes. Subject to conditions
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes|| |
|Type of investments available for residency purposes|| Business |
|Minimum investment amount|| N/A |
Other conditions other than minimum
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||7 years|
|Residency for individuals married to a citizen of the country||The spouse must be individually eligible for permanent resident status|
|Documents for obtaining permanent residence|| Application form |
Proof of lawful permanent residence for the minimum prescribed time
Other supporting documents, if required
by the authorities
|Naturalization requirements|| Specific documents |
Other requirements may apply
*Foreign nationals are naturalized as Chinese nationals under the Law of the People's Republic of China
|Citizenship after permanent residence||Yes|
|Dual citizenship permitted (Yes/No)||No|
Permanent residency in Hong Kong
- Chinese nationals born in Hong Kong or those who have been living legally in the city for 7 years;
- Chinese nationals born outside of Hong Kong but one of their parents was a resident at the time of the birth;
- foreigners who have lived in Hong Kong for 7 years and for whom the city is the permanent place of residence can apply for the status of HK permanent resident;
- foreigners under the age of 21 who have a Hong Kong resident parent (however, after the age of 21 they must apply for a permit themselves);
- individuals with no right of abode anywhere else than Hong Kong.
Other types of visas in Hong Kong in 2022
- employment visa;
- study visa;
- training visa;
- visa for investment as entrepreneurs;
- dependant visa.
Permanent residency in Hong Kong under the General Employment Policy
- employment agreement: he or she has a confirmed employment in Hong Kong, in a position relevant to his work experience or qualifications (and the job position could not be taken up by local workforce);
- clear record: there is no security objection to hiring the applicant; he or she has no record with a serious crime;
- good credentials: the individual has good educational background and the relevant degrees of technical qualifications;
- adequate benefits: the job position includes a remuneration package that is in line with the applicable rules for the profession in the Special Administrative Region.
EVALUATE YOUR CHANCES OF IMMIGRATING TO THE HONG KONG
Check your eligibility now!
Don’t forget to SHARE
Visas for professionals and entrepreneurs in Hong Kong
- Non-local graduates: the IANG visa allows foreign graduates to remain in Hong Kong for one year to look for a job;
- Technology Talent Admission: for those who hold a degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics; the employing company is subject to certain conditions;
- Investment as Entrepreneur: for those who are able to make a substantial contribution to Hong Kong’s economy, have an approved business plan as well as create a number of local jobs;
- Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals: when a Chinese Mainland citizen is employed by a Hong Kong company based on stills and there is a genuine job vacancy that was not filled.
- 4 weeks to process the visa for investment, the work visa for employment under the general policy as well as many other types if visas;
- $230 for the ordinary visa;
- $120 for the transit visa;
- $230 when the applicant changes the conditions for stay or extends the duration of stay.
Loss of the Hong Kong permanent resident status
- when absent from Hong Kong for a continuous 36-months period since he or she no longer ordinarily resided in Hong Kong – in case of foreign nationals who have been lawfully resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of 7 years;
- when absent for a continuous period of at least 36 months or when, upon attaining 21 years of age, the individual no longer qualified for residency – in case of those born to a parent who had the right of abode.
If you wish to know more about residency in Hong Kong, the representatives at our law firm in Hong Kong can give you more details about these types of visas as well as the fees for visas or applications for the extension of stay in 2022.