• [Cn]
  • [Jp]
  • [My]
  • [Kr]
  • [Vn]
  • [Ph]

Divorce in Hong Kong

Divorce in Hong Kong

Updated on Monday 21st September 2015

Rate this article

based on 0 reviews

Divorce-in-Hong-Kong.jpgEnding a marriage in Hong Kong

When couples decide to terminate a marriage in Hong Kong they will need to provide reasonable grounds in order to be able to file for divorce. The Hong Kong courts will accept certain causes as in order to consider that the marriage is irretrievably broken down. Adultery, desertion, consented separation or unreasonable behavior are some of the cases for divorce in Hong Kong.
Our law firm in Hong Kong can provide specialized services concerning family law. Our lawyers will be able to assist you throughout the divorce procedure and legally represent you in court.

Grounds for divorce in Hong Kong

Although there may be many reasons why a marriage has broken down, when couples want to file for divorce they will need reasonable cause to do so and will also need to provide the relevant proof that will sustain their cause. The simple separation of the spouses for more than one year will not be reason enough for the court to accept that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.
Spouses that have agreed to a consented divorce/separation will need to prove in court that they have been separated and that they had both agreed upon this. When adultery is the grounds for the separation the party filing for divorce will need to prove in court that the other party has wronged him or her. Unreasonable behavior can also be considered a cause for divorce in Hong Kong.

Steps for getting divorced in Hong Kong

The divorce procedure starts with a petition for divorce. In order to start the divorce proceedings, the spouse that initiates the procedure will need to fill in a number of forms concerning the grounds for divorce, the arrangements for the children (if applicable), the financial statement for financial disputes (if any) and other forms. The couple can also choose to file a joint application for divorce.
The petition will be delivered to the spouse. The one that initiates the divorce is the petitioner and the other will be the respondent. The petition must be served to the respondent by a third party. After this step is complete, an application must be submitted in order to set a court hearing date.
The easiest way to handle a divorce or other family matters is to hire an attorney. Our lawyers in Hong Kong can provide all of the needed services in case you want to file for divorce or need help with other issues. 
Please contact our Hong Kong lawyers for detailed information.


There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.